What happens to skin following a SkinPen microneedling procedure?
The SkinPen micro-needling procedure is a skin rejuvenation procedure that softens the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and acne scars. Micro-needling uses tiny needles to create micro-channels in the skin.
In response to these micro-injuries, the body initiates a wound healing process that naturally remodels collagen and elastin. Several changes may occur in the skin following the SkinPen micro-needling procedure:
The micro-needles puncture the skin, including the stratum corneum, which is the hydrophobic and outermost layer of the skin, creating micro-channels. Studies suggest that these micro-channels stay open for as many as 20-plus hours. During this time:
- Trans-epidermal water loss increases. Therefore, skin may experience temporary dryness following the SkinPen micro-needling procedure.
- Hydrophilic and large molecular substances can penetrate further into the skin while the channels are open.
- Harmful substances such as dirt, bacteria and harmful skincare ingredients can get in more easily when these channels are open. To prevent these damaging ingredients from absorbing into the skin, wait at least one day before using skincare products that weren’t specifically designed to be used following the SkinPen procedure.
What Skin Needs After the SkinPen Micro-needling Procedure
Hydration. Skin needs moisture to replace the water that is lost immediately after the SkinPen procedure.
Nutrients that support the wound repair process. Topical niacinamide (vitamin B-3) may improve wound healing. One study found that a niacinamide-dominated cosmeceutical (in association with other ingredients) increased collagen production and dermal fibroblast proliferation—important components in the wound healing process.
Skinfuse Rescue Calming Complex. Rescue Calming Complex is designed to be used immediately after the SkinPen procedure, when the micro-channels are open, and for two days following the procedure. Skinfuse Rescue Calming Complex:
- Hydrates the skin using aloe
- Forms a natural breathable, protective barrier to reduce further loss of skin moisture and protect skin while the micro-channels are open
- Uses niacinamide to initiate the wound repair process
The other products in the Skinfuse Post Procedure Kit deliver the nutrients your skin needs to enhance the results of the SkinPen procedure. They’re designed to be used starting:
One day after the SkinPen procedure:
- Reclaim Hydrating Support
- Shield Zinc Oxide 21%
Two days after the SkinPen procedure:
- Fortify Vita C Serum
Results may vary by individual. Contact your SkinPen provider to learn more about how the SkinPen micro-needling procedure and Skinfuse post-procedure products can help to improve the health and appearance of your skin.