What is Microneedling
Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, is a minimally invasive skin rejuvenation procedure that helps minimize the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars and rejuvenate aging skin.
The SkinPen microneedling device causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate the body’s natural wound healing process. The micro-injuries trigger the release of cytokines and growth factors that lead to remodeling of collagen and elastin.
There are three phases to the wound repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is re-built with new granulation cells, as well as a temporary (type III) collagen and elastin, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels. The type III collagen in the newly formed tissue is replaced with stronger type I collagen, which can contract to create a tightening or “shrink wrap” effect on the skin.
How is microneedling performed?
Microneedling can be performed using SkinPen, a medical-grade, state-of-the-art microneedling tool available only through medical professionals.The treatment typically takes about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size and number of areas treated and the degree of treatment requested by the patient.
What are the benefits of microneedling?
- Microneedling helps reduce the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars and rejuvenate aging skin. In one study of 60 patients with acne scarring, three microneedling treatments resulted in a 31 percent improvement in skin texture, with no discoloration of the skin. Microneedling was effective for all skin types.
- Is appropriate for all skin types. The SkinPen microneedling device creates hundreds of tiny micro-channels in the skin with minimal damage to the epidermis. SkinPen disrupts the junctions between the skin cells, temporarily disrupting the skin’s barrier function. This brief, mechanical disruption does not cause the melanocytes (pigment-producing cells) in the epidermis to react by increasing pigment production and darkening the skin in a process called hyperpigmentation. Therefore, SkinPen can be used on all skin types, including darker skin that is more susceptible to hyperpigmentation.
- Can be used on many body parts. The SkinPen needle depth adjusts from .25 mm up to 2 mm, allowing the provider to tailor the treatments to the patient’s particular skin thickness as well as his or her needs. SkinPen’s variable needle depth makes it more versatile than traditional rollers, and it can be used efficiently on many parts of the body.
- Has minimal risk of infections or scarring. SkinPen doesn’t remove or damage the epidermis and doesn’t trigger the inflammatory pathway, meaning infections and scarring are unlikely.
- Works in conjunction with Skinfuse. Skinfuse is an easy-to-use skin care regimen specifically formulated to provide the nutrients your skin needs to optimize the results of the SkinPen procedure. Skinfuse products contain nutrients that support the skin after microneedling. Also, to assist in your microneedling procedure recovery, Skinfuse does not contain ingredients that hinder the skin rejuvenation process.
Does microneedling hurt?
A topical anesthetic is typically applied prior to a SkinPen procedure. This allows for a comfortable experience for most people. Generally, patients report feeling just the slight vibration of SkinPen during the procedure. In one study of micro-needling used to treat acne scars, the patients’ average pain rating was only 1.08 out of 10. For most people, that’s probably less painful than having your eyebrows waxed.
Is there downtime after the microneedling procedure?
The total healing time depends on each individual. Most patients have some slight swelling and redness/pinkness (like a mild to moderate sunburn) for two to four days following the microneedling procedure. Some people may see their skin return to normal in about 24 hours.
Applying Skinfuse RESCUE Calming Complex immediately post-procedure soothes the skin and reduces inflammation. RESCUE was formulated by Bellus Medical as part of the Skinfuse post-procedure protocol specifically to calm the skin following the SkinPen microneedling procedure.
Bellus Medical offers its SkinPen users the resources and support they need to ensure staff proficiency and patient comfort during the procedure. Visit us today for more information.